Recommendations from Kosovo Police on Cyber Security
Prishtinë, September 15, 2018 – Kosovo Police has presented a list of recommendations for businesses for protection against cyber crimes since a high number of these cases has been reported.
The Press and Public Relation Office of Kosovo Police has announced that many business owners have reported to the Police various cases of deception through computer systems which result in numerous damages to the companies. According to the Police, the suspects use numerous forms in getting data from businesses, such as transport of goods, bills, payments, communication via computer (emails), etc.
Kosovo Police has presented a list of recommendations which will help businesses be protected from these harmful actions. These recommendations are:
• Install antivirus in your computer systems;
• Use one computer only for communication, and monitor this process, e.g. authorize one or two employees only in dealing with communications and transactions; install no other programs except the ones necessary on conducting work which are licensed as well;
• Do not open suspicious emails from unknown senders;
• Ensure that the email sent from the business partner is authentic (the suspect will change or add one character in the email address e.g. instead of ‘o’ it uses ‘u’, email@example.com the authentic email, whereas firstname.lastname@example.org fake email);
• Before finalizing the transaction, confirm the bank account with the business partner by communicating in other ways (e.g. telephone fax machine); for every transaction contact the relevant banks in Kosovo, which inform also on where the bank account is located.
According to the Police, if these measures are taken, the risk of being a victim of cyber crimes will be lower.
Kosovo Police invites businesses to report these cases in the nearest station should any similar circumstances occur to you. Kosovo Police is willing to ensure safety for the society, as well as for businesses so that they do not encounter damages to the extent that they cannot be recuperated.